Monday, March 12, 2007

Wet Walls and Big Reader!

Last night, while attempting to get the boys ready for bed, I heard the inevitable taunting of Alexander, followed by the angry yelling of Ethan, followed by a scream from Alexander. This seems to be the latest developmental pattern in our house. Sadly, I think it is payback from my childhood! Well, fearing that the youngest (who is perfectly capable of defending himself) was being pummeled by his brother, I entered the bathroom. Well, I entered to a WET mess. A had taunted E, who got mad and yelled, which made A laugh in an even more taunting tone, followed by E spraying water from the shower onto his brother. LOVELY. At least they are old enough to clean up their own messes (after a bit of tyrannical yelling by their mother).

Their immediate punishment was to lose their remaining 1/2 hour of play time and they had to sit on their beds until bedtime. I suggested that they sit there while I folded a load of laundry and then they were to pick out books to read. Ethan's first request was his Pokemon book. I immediately replied with a "No" and asked him to pull out the chapter book that he is working on. Alexander walked into the playroom, where we have an entire wall of books, and whined that he was unable to find anything suitable. I walked in, reached in one shelf and happened to pull out "Big Pig on a Dig":

This book was an absolute favorite on Ethan's when we was beginning to read, so I thought it would be fun to work with Alexander on it. Well, Alexander opened the book while I was folding laundry and started to read. The boy absolutely blew me away! He was able to read 99% of the book on his own! I couldn't believe it. Of course, it made me feel like a bad parent because how was it that I didn't KNOW that he could read that well. He loves to be read to and since he is in Kindergarten, I just naturally tended to read to HIM. Well, "HELLO, MOM!!", it is time for Alexander to read to YOU more. I can't wait until tonight when we read "Toad Makes a Road"!

1 comment:

mindakms said...

andrew has and loved BPOAD as well! He's at chapter book stage right now, but if you ask him he'll tell you he doesn't really like reading. Can't wait until that stage is over!