Monday, July 31, 2006

fearing corn

Yes, it is true. I now fear corn and not just any corn, but Wisconsin corn. If you are squimish or eating lunch, you had best move on to the next blog...

On our drive home from Camp Wapo last week, we stopped at a farm stand and bought fresh sweet corn. Oh, I do love a good sweet corn. We got home, boiled it up, and had it for dinner. My fun starting the next morning. I will let you use your imagination and avoid the details, but needless to say, my stomach and abdomin were VERY uncomfortable. Of course, it settled a bit after a day, so I decided (once again, against my better judgment) to eat another ear of left over corn. When will I learn? Well, the second serving of corn seemed to further enhance and stimulate the issue and I have had issues ever since. This is why I now fear corn.

I finally went to the doctor this morning and she checked as much as she could in the office (it was still gross), but I now need to visit a gastroentologist to determine the root cause of my issue. It is likely that I have a microscopic inflammation somewhere in my colon. It is most sensitive on the left side of my body, so I don't need a full colonoscopy, but I am getting a sigmoidoscopy. Fun, fun! She said that if they find any inflammation that they will take a sample and test the tissue for the usual things - infection, Chron's disease, cancer, etc.

I think that they are going to get the scope up there and find a pesky piece of corn!

No comments: