Friday, March 24, 2006

how does change influence you?

Nancy is in the midst of a Change Management class this week and she gleamed an interesting quote from her course that I have copied over here.

"It's not so much that we're afraid of change, or so in love with the old ways, but it's the place in between we fear... it's like being in between trapezes...there's nothing to hold onto."


I love this quote because it hits right at home for me. It is the unknown swinging between those two trapezes of what has been and what might be. That dangling is scary, but if you have built up enough momentum through desiring the change, thinking rationally about the change and where you currently are, and planning for the change, then you can be excited and avidly reach for the next trapeze.

Stop and think about change for a minute.
  • Has fear of change ever influenced a decision?
  • Have you ever been excited about a change?
  • How were the experiences similar or different?


Whenever I think about change I am always reminded of Zulieka. Zulieka was a graduate student in the same program as me many moons ago (see previous entry relating to "Early Work"). Our program was a Ph.D. program rather than a Master's program followed by a Ph.D. The Master's were only given to those who failed their cumulative exams or for those "who couldn't handle" the program. Yes, the Master's degree was considered the courtesy prize by the faculty in our department. Well, one month, Zulieka had had enough of the experience and was choosing to leave the program with her Master's. She was a talented scientist and we all felt that she had a great career ahead of her. So, you can only imagine our shock when she decided to leave. I was so shocked that I wanted to talk to her and find out why she made the decision and how did she know that it was going to be better where she was going. I will never forget her response:

"You're right, I don't know if it is going to be better there, but what I do know is that I am not happy here. I am making this decision based on what I know and will deal with the unknown when I meet it."

Congratulations to you, Zulieka! I hope that you have landed on your feet and have never regretted your decision to graduate with a Master's degree. Something tells me that you are doing just fine!

>

1 comment:

nancy_scraps said...

Yeah. My MS is also a consolation prize from my "alma mater"..(Hmmm. how do you say crappy mother in latin...I wouldn't call her "dear").

I had to get out, too. It was a tough decision. I cried and cried. I was relieved when I left.

I now I know you. And Minda. And countless other people that would not be in my life had I "stuck it out".

Good choice on my part.