Sunday, January 20, 2008

First Exposures to Pro Football

The boys and I had a fun day filled with Legos, errands, bowling, a new computer game purchase (Sim City 4), and dinner at California Pizza Kitchen. Each of these places that we visited was either playing the Patriots vs. Chargers on the radio or on the tv. By the time we reached California Pizza Kitchen and the game of the Packers vs Giants started up, the boys and I were infected with excitement.

While we were installing Sim City and playing a little bit, we had the football game on the tv (wow! digital is really cool!). Soon, we were all watching the game. The boys decided to cheer for the Packers since several of their friends love the Packers; while I chose to cheer for the Giants just to add some drama and in support of my step-Dad, Gordie.

This was the first time that Ethan and Alexander actually watched a pro-football game. So, I spent some time with them explaining what downs were and how they changed, what the flags meant, and why they were trying to kick the ball through the yellow posts. Yes, I, MEEE, Marcy was explaining football. If you know me - THAT is a laughable statement!

Alexander really enjoyed watching the game and re-enacting some of the plays that harder hits (the farther the people bounced, the better). At one point, we were watching two of the players nearly get into a fit. In good sportsmanship manner (and after several tears at the bowling alley followed by me explaining that it was just a game and that we should just have fun), he comments, "What is up with those guys? Don't they know that it is just a game???!!!!" I giggled and explained that this was their JOB and that they all made a LOT of money playing said game! He didn't quite believe me, but then accepted it and returned to watching the game.

I have always thought that he would enjoy playing football, so it didn't surprise me at all when he blurted out, "Mom, I want to play football!' at least 15+ minutes after the earlier conversation about game vs. job. I said that we could sign him up for football in the fall, but he cut me off with, "No, no! I want to play football now that I know that they make a lot of money!"

No comments: