Sunday, December 30, 2007

Got Resolutions?

The new year is quickly approaching and with it comes the media upswing to catch us at one of our weaker moment - when we are setting a resolution. Yes, the onslaught of ads for health clubs and weight loss services has begun. It also means that the club is going to be packed for the next 4 - 6 weeks. I know, that is selfish, but I prefer to actually have a treadmill to run on rather than wait 30 minutes for one to free up or to have room to jump and wiggle my hinney during a class!

In defiance of the tradition of resolutions, I typically do not set one. Okay, that sounds like grandstanding, but I know myself and I don't tend to keep the ones that I make on Jan. 1st, so I try to make smaller ones throughout the year. They don't always work either, but for some reason I feel less defeated than when I am unable to keep them at the beginning of the year. Any psych majors out there who want to comment on that? ;)

This year might be different, though. I went scrapbooking at Scrapbooks Too on Friday night and all day and night Saturday. I ended up sitting with some of my scrapbooking friends, Susan, who I haven't seen in a while. We got talking about running and how I did the Reindeer Run while she opted to stay in her cozy, warm bed. Yes, I should have stayed in mine that day, but now I get bragging rights for doing a race in sleet and sub-zero temps! She then went on to say that missing the December race made her not meet her resolution for the year because her resolution last year was to run in a 5k race each month. What a GREAT idea!!

So, it sounds as though I do "Got Resolutions" and I will officially state it:
"My resolution is to run a 5k each month of the year"

So, here is the plan so far:

  • Sunday, January 13th
    • Frigid 5 around the State Fairgrounds
    • REGISTERED!
  • Saturday, February 16th
    • Marathon Sports Valentine's Day 5k around Lake Harriet (hopefully, it will be warmer than during the Reindeer Run!!)
  • Sunday, March 16th
    • St. Patrick's Day Human Race
  • Saturday, April 26th
    • Get in Gear at Minnehaha Park (MINDA - are you joining us???)
Those are the ones that I want to do for sure (along with the Turkey Day 5k and the Reindeer run again). The rest of the year is up in the air; well, except for November and December.

There are a lot in May (obviously, it becomes a little more pleasant run at that time of year). Has anyone run any of these? Any feedback?
  • Saturday, May 3rd
    • Arise and Run for the Prize at Elm Creek
    • This one has a kids run that might be fun to let the boys try
  • Sunday, May 4th
    • Sholom Community Alliance Oy Vey 5k
    • How can I pass up a t-shirt that says "Oy Vey 5k" on it???
  • Sunday, May 4th
    • Arboretum 5k Bud Break
  • Saturday, May 10th
    • Eden Prairie Spring Run for Fun
    • This one is on Purgatory Creek and around Staring Lake - that would be a nice run
    • Benefits the "Girls on the Run"
What about you? Got Resolutions?

No comments: