Sunday, September 03, 2006

How Marcy and Kyle deal with the Mall of America

READ! Kyle and I decided to take the boys to The Park at MOA, previously known as Camp Snoopy, since I am still not feeling well enough to do the State Fair. It turned out to be a great afternoon. There weren't many people when we first got there, but within a couple of hours, it was packed. The longer lines just meant more reading time for Kyle and me! I started a new book (The Winner by ?, recommended by Nancy Rygg) and a good ways into the book. It was really interesting to see people's reaction to us reading. It took quite a few people aback. At one point, I was making sure the boys made it onto a ride while Kyle was reading. One man walked within 2 inches of Kyle and was staring and smiling at him. It was really disconcerting when I made eye contact with him and he continued to stare and smile and me. He laughed, pointed at Kyle and said, "Quite focused" or something like that Okay, so he wasn't some freakish pervert; he was just trying to be nice to us and was just making an observation. Then it hit me like a lead balloon. I, me, Marcy, often start up odd little conversations like that with strangers! OH MY GOD! Do people think that I am some freakish pervert!?!? Yikes. Okay, note to self, if you are going to smile and stare at people, make sure you tell them why in a timely manner!

2 comments:

nancy_scraps said...

My read at that type of event is usually a scrapbook magazine. It works at MOA and the Children's Museum. Ain't 5 and 8 a much better age to take the kids out than, say, 2 and 5. No time for reading, then.

Glad you're feeling a bit better.

Anonymous said...

Marcy, Mike used to wink at little old ladies at the grocery store til one followed him for three aisles, grabbed him by the elbow, squinted up at him, and said, "boy...do I KNOW you?" I've been telling him for years to stop looking at people! You're funny! I have complete tunnel vision and look at NO ONE. I'm no fun to shop with...just ask Heather!