Tuesday, May 16, 2006

fyi part 1

I found Mom's first entry in her "fyi" series regarding her trip to MN. This entry was sent on Mother's Day, May 14th.

************************
Dear All: Happy Mother's Day to all! The following is re: my trip to MN so if you're not interested, delete!

My Grandson Logan & I left Elmira 5/2/06 bright & early. No problems w/flight. Arrived in MN @ noon (they're 1 hr behind our time). Logan had the idea to put our hoods up on our coats & me to put my sunglasses on. Didn't fool Marcy @ all!

First thing Logan wanted to go to the Mall of America (of course!). It was there that I realized I'd forgotten my sneakers. You're required to remove your shoes when going through security so I wore my loafers fully intending to throw the old sneaks in the suitcase. So off we went to DSW Shoes. It's a very large shoe store w/boxes on the low shelves and the shoe that's in the box on top. Plus a huge clearance area. Luckily I found some Asics Gel that fit my skinny feet. Off we went to find Logan's preferred brand of sneaker in a store called Journeys.

5/3/06: We had slept 12 hours! Marcy took us to the MN Sculpture Garden. Most of it was outside. We got our culture that day! To Ikea Store for lunch of Swedish Meatballs w/baby red potatoes plus a dash of lingonberry sauce (a true Swedish food). A bit sweeter than our cranberry sauce. Then Marcy took Logan through the whole store for the experience while I visited the Market. Gordie has a fondness for their chocolates.

After lunch off to Sociale Gourmet. This is a place where people over 14 prep their own meals. You sign up for a time spot and the meals you want to assemble on the computer. Then just show up, don the apron, wash hands, and go the the proper "station." There you'll find the meat, etc. all chopped, cut as you need. Logan couldn't help only being 11 but he was allowed to sit in the same room as us on a stool. Plus the place had a nice gift shop where he found a gift for his Mom.

We were near a White Castle fast food place when Logan mentioned he'd never been to one so next thing we know Marcy has us in line to order one of their famous mini cheeseburgers in a box. Delish! I forced Logan to stand by the White Castle sign for a photo (much to his chagrin!)

5/4/06 - We didn't have a car today so we walked to Bruegger's Bagels (my favorite breakfast place). Then to McD's where they have movie videos to rent from a machine. Trouble was it was out of order.

We were always looking for "D" quarters for Gordie's coin collection. Came home only needing 1 more Nevada quarter.

This concludes today's typing. Everyone have a great day and enjoy!

No comments: