Saturday, May 05, 2007

A Very Full Saturday!

Whew! I am exhausted. It is 9pm and I am ready for the day to be finished. The exhaustion stems from three points: staying up too late, getting up too early, and having a very busy day today.

The staying up too late happened when I went over to a friend's house last night and watched the movie Bobby. It wasn't a movie that I had ever planned on watching, but was pleasantly surprised by it. I enjoyed the different story lines of the different lives that were impacted by Bobby Kennedy's campaign and stop at the Ambassador Hotel.

The next point of getting up too early happened because I can no longer sleep in in the morning! Why? I don't know. I suspect it is because we don't have any light filtering elements in our bedroom. We have sheers with light yellow curtains over the top. So, when the sun comes up, I am up within the hour.

It was then time for the usual Saturday morning routine of the vain attempt to get some cleaning done. Of course, the drive to get some cleaning done was further induced by the fact that my in laws were arriving today in order to see Ethan's Angelica Cantanti concert tomorrow. So, it was a morning of cleaning the guinea pigs' cage, sweeping and mopping floors, vacuuming, doing laundry, and changing beds. Whew! When you sit at a desk all week, doing housework can be exhausting. It was then that it was time to head out to Sociale Gourmet to be there by 11 to prep 12 meals for the next month. I have been an avid bi-monthly participant in the meal preparation. It makes life manageable and reduces our trips for eating out, so it is well worth the 1.25 hours for me to prep 12 meals!

I got home, ate some lunch, helped Ethan wrap a birthday present, and then headed to Vertical Endeavors in St. Paul for Jakob's birthday party. This place is amazing (check out the link) - it is a building full of climbing walls. What I really liked was that there were areas that the boys could climb without having to have a spotter. The ropes were rigged up to some sort of spring system, so they were safe, but independent which means that they all climbed and climbed for 2 hours. After staying and chatting with the adults for a little while, I headed out in search of coffee. No one knew where to get coffee in the area, so I took a wild guess and started to look around. Now, you need to understand that I know NOTHING about St. Paul and I have a horrid sense of direction. So, I ventured only as far as I dared and I was unsuccessful at finding coffee. I then turned and headed back to Vertical Endeavors when it started to pour. Rather than brave the elements, I stayed in the car and chatted on the phone. It was really comforting and peaceful to watch the rain on my windshield and to hear the rain on the metal and glass of the car. It always brings to mind one of my favorite memories from my childhood - sitting in my bedroom on my pink canopy bed in our house on 5th street during a summer storm. My room faced the street and I would watch the rain splash on the blacktop and the sidewalks while it softly landed on the grass. Then, my room would fill with the smells of ozone, mud, and musty wood from the windowsill. It would always fill me with peace and happiness. Those same sensations fill me today when I sit in a rainstorm.

Well, I am getting sleepy and I am now reminiscing about my room on 5th St., so I will just say the rest of the day included a bike ride to DQ, a visit to Ethan's piano teacher, a fun game of "I Spy" using an I Spy book with Alexander, and now some computer time. I am going to need to go to bed soon!

Tomorrow is busy, too, but not nearly as full. Ethan's Angelica Cantanti concert is tomorrow afternoon and that is the focus of the day!

Have a lovely evening!

No comments: