Sunday, April 02, 2006

tea for the girls




Saturday was a gorgeous day for afternoon tea in Stillwater at Aprille's Showers for an American Girl tea. The tea revolves around the American Girl doll line and since I don't have a girl or a doll, I needed to find a willing party to join me. Luck would have it that the same day that I read about the American Girl teas at Aprille's Showers was the same day that Karla told me about her two nieces who also love the dolls. Well, a plan was set into motion and Karla, Moira, Shelby, and me plus 4 dolls were headed to Stillwater in early April.
Karla and the girls outside of Aprille's Showers

Why the American Girl dolls? I have a fascination with the American Girl dolls because the inventor, Pleasant Rowland, graduated from my undergraduate institution, Wells College. Pleasant has since sold the doll line to Mattel for a mere $700 million, but it is still exciting for me to think that a woman from my tiny college made it so big (have I ever mentioned that the woman who invented Shrinky Dinks also went to Wells?). Besides that little piece of trivia, I love what the girls have done to the doll industry and have opened up the world of history and culture to young girls.

Okay, back to the tea ~ it was fabulous! We had a 3 course tea including chilled strawberry soup, cheese, fruit, croissant, cucumber sandwichs, and lots of goodies for dessert. The entire meal was a bit too high on the sugary side for me because even the turkey croissant sandwich had a sweet, raspberry mayo on it, but the atmosphere was great and the girls loved it. Here are some pictures from the event:

Our beautiful table during the last course of sweets, sweets, sweets!

Moira and Josefina


Shelby and ?? (sorry, I can't remember this doll's name!)

It was such as fun time to do a true high tea. We spoke with the owner of Aprille's Showers about the adult teas and they sound fabulous with things like Roasted Red Pepper Tomato Soup, my personal favorites of the English Cucumber sandwiches, and of course the sweet goodies that go along with a tea. Of the teas that we tried on Saturday, my personal favorite was the Tea Source Gold which is a black tea with two fruits in it. If I remember correctly, it has elderberry and passion fruit. The loose tea was available for purchase and I didn't buy any!! How silly of me! I feel that another trip to Aprille's Showers is in my future!

2 comments:

nancy_scraps said...

Is it Kersten? (The swedish doll). That's the one I would consider for my girls.

Which one did you take, Marcy? I noticed you said you had 4 dolls with you.

Anonymous said...

What a neat looking place! So was it a store? Or a cafe of sorts? I love the umbrella out front.