Sunday, March 16, 2008

Life Lesson #316

"If you feel crappy at the start of a race, you are likely to feel even crappier at the end."

Yes, even though I have been laid up with a cold, fever, aches, and chills, I still decided to run the St. Patrick's Day Human Race today. As you know, my obsessive nature drove me to do it and here are the points that I used to rationalize it to myself:
  1. My fever broke at about 4 am this morning. It is always a lovely feeling to wake up in a pool of sweat (yes, my bedding is in the washer right now).
  2. Ethan was signed up for the youth 1/2 miler and Alexander expressed a bit of interest, too.
  3. Susan was driving us
  4. Susan and I both needed each others' motivation to make it to the race
  5. My New Year's resolution is to run a 5k (or a race) each month. I didn't want month 3 to be my first miss.
All lame rationalizations, but I still did it. I managed to finish in about 33 minutes even with 2 stops because my lungs stopped cooperating.

The boys were very cute running the 1/2 miler. Alexander decided to run it when we were walking out to take Ethan to the start line. After a quick, last minute registration, we jogged over to the start. They looked so cute that I had to take a picture with my cell phone (Alexander on left - #195; Ethan on right - #143).
Ethan enjoyed the run and will do it again. Alexander didn't enjoy it, but he wants to do it again. Funny boys! I would love to have running partners over the next few years. I suspect that within 5 years, they will be zooming past me!

No comments: